1 1/2 cups dried dates
1 1/4 cups water
3/4 teaspoon bicarb of soda
1 cup self raising flour (or 1 cup plain flour + 2 teaspoons baking powder)
3/4 cups brown sugar
60 ml light olive oil or 60g soy margarine
2 teaspoon egg substitute (equivalent of 2 eggs)
1. Place water and dates in a small pan and bring to the boil. Once boiling, take off the heat and stir in bicard of soda. Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
2. In a food processor, blend the oil or marg, sugar and egg replacer. Add the date mixture and pulse until roughly chopped.
3. Add the flour and pulse until just combined.
4. Spoon into greased baking pan and bake for 30-40 minutes at 180ºC or until done.
5. Is lovely and moist. Best made a few days before you eat it. Also works well if you double the recipe.