Creamy Carrot Soup
1 medium onion
2 leeks, cleaned, white parts only
3 1/4 cups grated baby carrots
1-2 tablespoon vegan butter or saflower oil
1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
5 cups "not chicken" or vegetable stock
1/2 to 2/3 cup vegan creamer
salt and pepper
fresh basil leaves, to garnish
crusty vegan bread, to garnish
a good big pot
an upright (Goblet) blender
1) First remember to wash the sand from your leeks, I find the best way to do this is to cut then wash. Finely chop the onion and leek separately. I use my blender for this not bother to clean it in-between.
2) Melt the vegan butter in a large pot; add the onion and leeks, cooking for 5-6 minutes stirring occasionally till soft. Stir in the carrots (usually buy a bag of carrots and while the onions and leeks cook put these in the blender to pulverize. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
3) Put on a kettle of water, if using stock cubes, when the water comes to a boil I pour it into my Goblet bender to 5 cups add the stock cubes and blend on stir for a few seconds. Once again don't bother to clean to blender in-between.
4) Stir in the wheat flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add the hot stock. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer for about 8 minutes. **If you are cooking for later this a good stopping point.
5) Cool the soup slightly 9just turn off the heat). Pour it into your CLEANED blender, puree until smooth. While blending clean your pot and put it back on the stove, turn the heat back on, set at medium of low.
6) When the soup is smooth to your liking add back to the pot. Stir in creamer. Simmer for a few minutes. Salt and paper to taste.
7) Chop some basil leaves if using.
8) Toast bread if using. Ladle soup into bowls decorate at will. Enjoy.