Crab Cakes with Horseradish Sauce
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup carrots, finely diced
1/2 cup onion, finely diced
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
1 sheet nori seaweed or 4 teaspoons kelp powder
1 tablespoon salt
2 pounds firm tofu
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 lime, juiced
1 tablespoon old bay seasoning
2 1/2 tablespoons corn starch Horseradish Sauce:
3/4 cup vegan mayo
3/4 cup vegan sour cream
2 1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1 lemon, juiced
salt and pepper, to taste Dredging:
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 1/2 tablespoons old bay seasoning
1 teaspoon salt and pepper
1 cup nondairy milk (I use soy)
vegetable oil, as needed for frying
1. In a small sauté pan, add the olive oil and about 1 teaspoon salt over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrot and sauté until soft, 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute longer. Set aside, cool completely.
2. If using a sheet of nori, hold with tongs and toast by fanning and turning it over low, careful not to burn it. Pulse until powdered. Place onion mixture, nori or kelp, 1 tablespoon salt and remaining crab cake ingredients in processor, and pulse until well combined but still chunky.
3. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate 30 minutes. I use this time to prepare sauce, it tastes better the longer it sets together. Mix sauce ingredients and chill.
4. Prepare tofu cakes. In a shallow dish, stir bread crumbs, old bay seasoning, salt, and pepper. Pour milk into a separate dish. Use hands to form cakes. Dip both sides into milk, then press into crumbs on both sides.
5. Place on baking sheet and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes. Heat enough oil over medium high heat to come halfway up crab cakes. Cook cakes until browned on both sides. Keep cooked cakes warm in oven that is turned to lowest setting, while cooking the remainder of the cakes. Serve with horseradish sauce.
Serve with roasted vegetables for a meal or serve as appetizers.
Source of recipe: This recipe was modified from Skinny Bitch.