Cori's Favorite Chili
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound seitan, cut into large chunks
2 medium onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
3 tablespoons Bragg's liquid aminos
4 cups veggie stock
2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, with liquid
1 1/2 cups dry pinto beans, washed and sorted
1 tablespoons paprika
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
ground black pepper, to taste
1. In a cast iron skillet, heat the oil on medium-high heat, add the seitan and brown well. Some bits will stick, and that's ok, go with it.
2. When the seitan is just shy of how brown you want it, add the onion and cook just until softened. Add the garlic and the liquid aminos and finish browning the seitan.
3. At this point, add the stock, using a spatula to scrape the bits off the pan, bring to a simmer and let the mix reduce slightly.
4. In a crock pot, dump the tomatoes, breaking them up with your hands a bit. Add the beans and pour the mix from the skillet in. Stir well, turn the crock pot on high just long enough for it to come to a boil.
5. Add seasonings, turn the crock pot to low, and let it go for the rest of the day, but don't forget at some point to taste and adjust.