Colon Blow Bran Muffins with Dried Figs
1-3/4 cups oat bran
1-3/4 cups rye flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dried mission figs, diced, or to taste
1 cup plain nondairy milk, room temperature
3/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil, melted and cooled but still liquid
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup black strap molasses
1/2 cup chopped cashews
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease muffin pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine oat bran, rye flour, all-purpose flour, flax seed, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; thoroughly mix. Toss figs in the dry ingredient mixture so they don't stick together.
3. In another bowl, combine nondairy milk, applesauce, brown sugar, coconut oil, maple syrup, and molasses.
4. Add wet to dry and fold until combined- don't over work the batter. Fold in chopped cashews. Use a big ice cream scoop to fill muffin cups. The dough is thick so pile it high!
5. Bake 22 minutes on the center rack.
Source of recipe: Being a pregnant Vegan is not as easy as I thought it would be. These muffins have been a life saver. Of course I am going to subject you to the knowledge that Grandpa says these are better than Pericolace. This is a modification of a printed recipe that was on a loose piece of paper stuffed in the back of a used bookstore cookbook! Don't eat more than one a day unless you like sitting on the can.... A lot.