Chocolate Seitan Crackle
seitan (1/2 cup wheat gluten mixed with ~ 1/2 cup water)
1/2 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
2.5 tablespoons melted Earth Balance (margarine)
2 tablespoons maple syrup (1 tablespoon if using sweetened coconut)
~1/2 cup chocolate, melted (use 3/4+ cup chocolate for a more 'candy bar' like experience)
1. Prepare your seitan by slowly pouring water over the wheat gluten while mixing constantly. Once you've formed a ball, knead it a bit, and then let it rest a couple minutes.
2. Stretch the seitan out and place it on a greased cookie sheet. Place in a preheated 350 oven for ~15 minutes. By this time, it'll get bubbly, so twist a fork into the bubbles and thick-raised areas to let the steam out. Bake another 15 minutes or until it springs back when you press on it.
3. Tear/Cut/Shred the seitan into little tiny 1 cm or so ground up bits.
4. Combine the ground gluten, melted margarine, coconut and maple syrup.
5. Spread mixture on cookie sheet and bake around 10 minutes at 300. Stir occasionally in order to roast more evenly. Watch it carefully so it won't burn. If the mixture is too wet, you might need to broil it for a bit to get it crispy.
6. Melt chocolate. Stir in the toasted seitan mixture. Spread the chocolate seitan mixture on a cookie sheet (I usually line my pan) and place in freezer/fridge to harden. Once hardened, cut/break into pieces.
7. Share and enjoy! People won't know what hit them.
Notes: The toasted seitan mixture can be eaten by itself or on top of some soy ice cream or whatever.