Chocolate Mousse Cupcakes
1 cup nondairy milk (I use soy)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 tablespoon brewed coffee
1 teaspoon almond extract (or vanilla extract)
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose flour)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cocoa powder Mousse:
2 cups avocado flesh, mashed (I used 3 small avocados)
3/4 cup milk (i use soy)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
1. To make the cupcakes, preheat oven to 350°F, and oil or line a cupcake pan. In a bowl, combine the milk and vinegar and let curdle. Add the sugar, canola oil, coffee, and almond extract.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Sift in the cocoa powder, and mix well. Combine the dry ingredients with the wet, and stir with a whisk until most of the lumps are gone, being careful not to over-mix.
3. Fill each cup 2/3 full with batter. Bake for 20-24 minutes, until the tops seem firm and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool. For mousse, place mashed avocado in bowl or blender, and add the milk, sugar, and peanut butter; stir/blend until well combined.
4. Add the salt, cornstarch, and cocoa powder, and mix again. Melt the baking chocolate over the stovetop or in a double boiler. Pour the melted chocolate into the mixture, and stir/blend until everything is fully combined. The mixture should be fairly thick and scoopable, but may need to chill for a few minutes first.
5. To assemble, carefully cut out the top center of the cooled cupcake, set aside for later, and scoop in a spoonful of mousse to fill. Place the cut-out cupcake piece back on top, spread a thick layer of mousse to cover the top of the cupcake, and smooth. Store in the fridge, and enjoy!
You can also spread chopped almonds on a plate, and carefully roll the cupcakes in them so that the mousse gets covered with almond pieces.
Source of recipe: This recipe was inspired by and modified from the chocolate cupcake recipe from Isa Moscowitz's VCTOW, and the chocolate torte filling from Oh She Glows, found here: http://ohsheglows.com/2010/12/09/chilled-double-chocolate-torte/. Yum! You can also find it on the blog I share with a friend: http://www.aveganblarg.com/