Chocolate Mousse Cake with Chocolate Ganache
3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups vegan sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2/3 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
2 cups cold nondairy milk (I use almond) Ganache:
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons nondairy milk
2 tablespoons vegan butter Filling:
1 (16 ounce) package vegan whipping cream, chilled
(I use Mimic Creme Healthy Top Whipping Cream)
1 tablespoon vanilla or almond extract
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray 2 (9") cakes pans with cooking spray. For cake, in a large bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder together until combined. Add in oil, vinegar, and milk, and mix until all ingrdients are combined and batter is smooth.
2. Pour batter into the prepared pans and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cake sit for 15 minutes in pans then remove from pans to finish cooling on the wire rack. To make the ganache, combine the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, milk, and vegan butter in a double boiler. Heat and continue to stir the ingredients until the chocolate is shiny and everything is melted together.
3. To make the chocolate whipped cream filling, follow the directions on the package to make the whipped cream. Add in the vanilla or almond extract and sifted cocoa powder and beat until the cream is all chocolate.
4. To assemble the cake, once the cakes have cooled completely, spread a generous amont of chocolate whipped cream on top of one of the cakes. Add the second cake on top of the first cake and put more chocolate whipped cream on top of the second cake.
5. Make sure the ganache has cooled down some, then take the ganache and pour it on the top of the cake. Spread the ganache around on top of the cake. It's okay if it looks messy or runs down the sides. Decorate the cake with vegan sprinkles, vegan chocolate chips, or leave it plain. Chill for 1 hour in frige before serving.
If you want even more chocolate, double the ganache recipe and add a layer of ganache on top of the first cake layer after putting the chocolate whipped cream, and before adding the second cake on top of it. You can also put the double ganache all on top of the second cake.
Source of recipe: I slightly modified the chocolate cake recipe from the cookbook "Joy of Vegan Baking" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau and slightly modified the ganache recipe from "The Vegan Table" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. The mousse cake was my idea. I used to make a cake like this before I was vegan and want to make my old recipe vegan.