Chocolate Cupcakes with Coconut Fudge Frosting
1/4 cup + 3/4 cup nondairy milk, divided
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup brown sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup shredded coconut [u]Cupcakes[/u]:
3 tablespoons ground flax seed
1 cup nondairy milk
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 cup all-purpose flour or whole grain flour (might get thick)
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
[u]Frosting[/u]First we do the frosting to let it cool down aside.
1. In a bowl, mix together 1/4 cup nondairy milk and cornstarch.
2. In a sauce pan, stir together 3/4 cup nondairy milk and brown sugar until the sugar has been completely mixed. Cook over a low heat for 6 minutes.
3. Add the starch mix and cook for another 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove from heat. Add the vanilla, then coconut. Put aside to cool down.
[u]Cupcakes[/u]:1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F / 180 degrees C. To a measuring cup, add ground flax seed, then add water up to 1/3 cup line. Stir and allow to sit to thicken. In another bowl, combine nondairy milk and apple cider vineagar. Stir and allow to sit to curdle.
2. In a bowl, thoroughly mix together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
3. In another bowl, stir the flax with the nondairy milk mixture and vanilla. In two batches, add the dry mix to the liquid one and beat it until it becomes homogeneous.
4. Pour the mix in the cupcakes shapes and bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Let them cool down.
5. Now comes the artistic side of baking cupcakes: to decorate their top. Carefully cover the top of the cupcakes with the frosting with the help of a spoon. You can decide how thick the layer should be depending on the amount of frosting according to the number of cupcakes. And for the next layer, I used some chocolate roll biscuit with colored sprinkles.
Source of recipe: From "The vegan cupcakes take over the world" and I modified it with less fat.