Chickpea Salad with Garlic-Cumin Vinaigrette
1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight, or 2-1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
2/3 cup finely diced red onion
6 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 red jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
3 tablespoons finely chopped herbs (e.g., thyme, mint, tarragon, parsley, cilantro)
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or lemon juice
2/3 tablespoons coarsely crushed cumin seeds
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon cilantro leaves
1. If using soaked chickpeas: Rinse and drain soaked chickpeas. Transfer beans to pot, add water to cover beans by 2 inches, cover pot, and cook until tender, about 2 hours. Plunge cooked chickpeas into cold water, then rub them between your fingers to remove the skins. (If using canned chickpeas, simply drain and rinse.)
2. In a bowl, combine chickpeas and onion.
3. Vinaigrette, whisk together olive oil, garlic, jalapeno pepper, herbs, vinegar, crushed cumin seeds, salt, and pepper.
4. Drizzle vinaigrette over chickpea-onion mixture; toss gently to coat. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and vinegar. Let stand 30 minutes or longer.
5. Add cilantro leaves as garnish. Serve at room temperature.