Chewy Apple Muffins
1 cup soymilk
1/4 cup maple syrup
3 tablespoons oil or melted Earth Balance, plus extra for the muffin tin
1 small apple, peeled and grated
1-1/2 cups white unbleached flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup golden raisins
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease the muffin tins.
2. In a measuring cup, combine soymilk, oil, maple syrup, and apple.
3. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, wheat germ, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ones. Stir to combine.
4. Add the vanilla extract and golden raisins. Stir a few times to incorporate, then fill the muffin tins each about 1/2 full. Put about an inch of water in the tins you're not using.
5. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the muffin has risen very high, is golden brown and feels dry to the touch. Allow to cool in the pan before transferring to a cooling rack. Very good with jam or Earth Balance. Remember, a muffin is just a healthy cupcake!
Source of recipe: This recipe was inspired by the "Muffins, Infinite Ways" recipe in "How To Cook Everything Vegetarian" by Mark Bittman.