1 tablespoon peanut oil
handful frozen dark cherries
large splash balsamic vinegar
large splash tamari
4 ounces tempeh, sliced 1/4" thick (I used Lightlife's Three Grain; I can't find anything that has the same crispy finish)
1. In a medium-heat saucepan, pour 1 tablespoon oil. After oil is heated, add cherries. Sauté with tongs, making sure that cherries are not just cooking on 1 side.
2. When cherries begin rapidly defrosting (you'll see a lot of water vapor come off), turn heat to medium low. Once cherries are defrosted, begin breaking them up and squishing them with tongs to release juice.
3. Add balsamic vinegar to the pan, then turn heat to medium. Once oil begins to get feisty, remove cherries and set aside. Carefully add tamari, then lay tempeh slices into pan.
4. After a couple minutes, turn over tempeh. It should be a purple color from all the cherry juices. The turning over is to allow the other side to be flavored.
5. Once all the juices are absorbed, bump up the heat to medium-high and fry until crispy on both sides. Serve with the cherries you set aside, perhaps with a spinach salad.
Source of recipe: I always have cherries in my freezer for some green smoothies, so I decided to dress up some tempeh.