canola oil, as needed for frying
3/4 cup vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 cup water
1 tablespoon tahini
1 tablespoon non-chicken bullion
3/4 cup cornmeal
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Put enough oil in a pot for frying and turn it on medium high. Combine the vital wheat gluten, garbanzo flour and nutritional yeast together.
2. Combine the water, tahini and bullion. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir together with a fork. It should all come together, but it will be a very loose dough.
3. Pour the cornmeal into a bowl. Take a tablespoon or so of the dough and drop it into the cornmeal. Very gently, coat it. It's important not to over handle it because the dough will easily crumble into pieces.
4. Shake any extra cornmeal off with loose fingers and carefully drop into the hot oil. Fry in batches for 3-4 minutes, or until golden. Blot on some paper towel and then place on a cookie sheet.
5. When all of the nuggets have been fried, bake them in the oven for 20 minutes to cook the raw insides.
Serve with tartar sauce (mix mayo and relish). I'm thinking these would make a perfect po' boy sammie!
Source of recipe: I was trying to create hot wings but these came out much like the catfish nuggets I used to make.