Bobbies Veggie Pot Pie
2 cups barley flour
1 cup spelt flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chilled canola oil
1/2 cup ice water
2 teaspoons vinegar Gravy and filling:
1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet vegan gravy mix
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
2 teaspoons Bragg's or soy sauce, optional
black pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups frozen mixed veggies
1 small potato, diced
2-3 slices vegan turkey slices, diced or 1/3 cup herbed firm tofu, diced, optional (I use Tofurky)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. For crust, mix together the flours, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Gradually add the oil, gently mixing it in.
2. Next, mix the water and vinegar in a small cup and gradually add this to the flour/oil mixture. If this dough ends up too wet, add some extra flour. Do not over mix this! Divide the dough in 1/2, and put 1/2 in the fridge. Roll out the other 1/2, about 1/4" thick and place in the bottom of a 9" pie tin. Set aside.
3. For gravy, mix package according to package directions (should make 1 cup gravy). Add the basil, soy sauce or bragg's, pepper, veggies, potato, and vegan turkey or tofu, if using. Stir together well. Pour this filling into the bottom crust.
4. Roll out the other 1/2 pie crust and place it on top of the pie. Gently press it down, and then trim off any excess dough around the edge. With a fork, press around the edge to seal the crusts together. Poke a few holes into the top crust.
5. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Do not rely on looking at the pie to see if it is done; the top crust will not really turn a golden-brown.