Black Forest Chocolate Cake with Hot Chocolate Sauce
250 g (8 oz) of self raising wholemeal flour
250 g (8 oz) soft brown sugar
2 Tablespoons of organic fair trade
2 heaped teaspoons carob powder
125 ml (4 fl oz) of Rapeseed oil
150 ml (1/4 pint) of soya milk
I tablespoon vegan yogurt or bean curd
or coconut cream
I dessertspoon cider vinegar
Pinch of salt
4 tablespoons vegan ricotta cheese (see
breakfasts page in Vegan Cookbook)
1 teaspoon of finely grated rind (zest)
4 tablespoons of Morello cherry or
100 g ( 3 1/2 oz) dark chocolate - free
from dairy and butterfat
250 ml (8 fl oz) carton of soya cream or
175 ml of sweetened soya milk
1 tablespoon agarve syrup
1 tablespoon Kirsch ( optional)
1. Blend all cake ingredients thoroughly together with a whisk.
2. Coarsely grate or chop up 25 g (1 oz) of the chocolate from the chocolate sauce and mix it in. Pour the mix equally into 2 round oiled baking tins approximately 20 cms/ 8 inches in diameter lined with baking paper.
3. Cook in a preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4 for about 25 - 30 minutes or until cocktail stick poked in centre of cake comes out cleanly without gunk on it.
4. Mix the lime into the vegan cream cheese.
5. Once the cakes are baked turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
6. Once cool spread one side with lime cream cheese and the other with cherry jam. Sandwich together and put on a plate
7. Sauce Break the remaining chocolate into chunks and heat in a heat proof glass measuring jug in a saucepan of boiling water. Once melted mix in the agave syrup and then the soya cream a little at a time whilst continuously stirring and then pour over cake
To serve: Alternatively save the chocolate sauce to serve hot. If it sets, heat in boiling water again. Pour hot chocolate sauce over piece of chocolate cake and serve with cherries or berries.
Some vegan vanilla ice cream would go splendidly with this.