Better than Refried Beans
19 oz. can dark red kidney beans (I use Progresso)
pickled ("nacho-style") jalapeno slices
hot sauce (I prefer Tapatio)
I am sharing this recipe because I am addicted to these beans. I don't know whether they just suit my particular taste buds, or if they really are as amazingly delicious as I think. Let me know either way :)
I apologize for no exact measures. It's pretty much all "to taste." I use about 6-8 little slices of pickled jalapeno, and 2-3 dashes of Tapatio hot sauce. I like it somewhat spicy, so adjust accordingly.
1. Drain the kidney beans, and save the bean liquid in a cup (you will add some of it back in).
2. Combine drained kidney beans, a few jalapeno slices, a couple dashes of hot sauce, and a sprinkle of salt in a small saucepan. Add enough of the reserved "bean liquid" to keep the beans from burning as you heat everything to a bubble, stirring frequently. I probably use a little less than 1/3 cup liquid to start, and then add more as it cooks if I see the beans are sticking to the bottom of the saucepan.
3. Let the beans bubble 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. With a potato masher, mash everything in the saucepan until the mixture is thick, creamy, and fairly smooth. (A fork also works, but is much more effort!) I do this with the pan on the burner, still bubbling away. You can also add a little more liquid as you mash if the mixture seems a little too thick, or dry.
5. Lower heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. (If it's not as thick as you like, let it simmer until it is.)
6. Turn the heat off, give it another stir, cover the saucepan, and let sit 5-10 minutes.
7. Stir and serve!