Best Vegetarian French Onion Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon vegan margarine
5 small sweet onions, chopped very thin
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons flour (optional, just used to thicken)
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups vegan gravy (read ingredients, some do not contain animal by products)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon soy sauce
3 slices day old bread, cut up into cubes.
3 thin slices vegan Swiss cheese
1. Heat oil and margarine in a deep non-stick soup pot.
2. Add onions and stir until well coated
3. Sauté over medium heat, stirring often for about 5 minutes
4. Add garlic and let let simmer for 2 min.
5. Turn down heat to low, cover with lid, stir once every 15 min, let onions cook down for about 50min.
6. Add broth, gravy, sugar, and soy sauce. Stir well and heat through.
7. Whisk in flour (if you choose to use flour).
8. Set oven to Broil
9. Place small bread chunks at bottoom of oven-safe bowls, pour in soup
10. Top with soy cheese.
11. Place in oven until cheese turns golden brown.