Best vegan roast ever
2 cups vital wheat gluten
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
2 tablespoons basil
2 tablespoons oregano
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt and black pepper
1 tablespoon rosemary
1 tablespoon thyme
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 (14 ounce) firm tofu package
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon barley miso + 1/4 cup water
1 cup vegetarian "beef" broth
1/2 cup condensed tomato soup, divided Broth:
2 cups water
3 rosemary sprigs
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
8 cloves garlic
12 red potatoes, chopped if large
20 baby carrots
1/4 cup vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1. For seitan, mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Blend tofu and other wet ingredients (except 1/3 cup tomato soup) in blender or food processor until tofu is smooth. Add wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl, and mix well.
2. Roll seitan into a log that is 2 1/2-3" wide. Loosely roll foil around the seitan log and twist both ends; set aside. Add all the broth ingredients (except the vinegar and vegan butter) to a large pot, and bring to a boil.
3. Add the seitan log, cover, and lower heat to medium. Let simmer for about 1 hour, or until the center of the log is 180 degrees F. Take out the log and veggies. Do not wash pot out yet.
4. Take out the rosemary sprigs, and any other large chunks of onions. Place the vegan butter in and turn the heat to medium to let it melt. If there is no broth liquid left, add about 1/2 cup water. Add the vinegar and the remaining 1/3 cup tomato soup.
5. Whisk together, and scrape the bottom of the pan to mix in the flavor of the broth. This will make a excellent "steak" sauce for your seitan. Take the seitan out of the foil and cut into 1" slices. Plate with seitan, vegetables, and sauce. Enjoy.
Source of recipe: I wrote this with inspiration from veganmiss' "Italian Beef Sandwiches" recipe: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=39737.0.