Best Lima Beans
1 cup large dry lima beans
1/4 cup vegan margarine (I use Earth Balance)
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 crimini mushrooms
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon sage
1/2 lemon, zest and juice of
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1. In a bowl, combine 3 cups water and lima beans; place bowl in refrigerator overnight. Drain and rinse.
2. In a pot, place lima beans and enough water to cover the beans by 2 inches. Place over high heat and cook until very tender (about 45 minutes). Drain and set aside.
3. To a large skillet over medium heat, add margarine and olive oil; allow margarine to melt. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook until mushrooms release their juices.
4. Stir in lima beans and sage; reduce heat to medium-low and cook until beans start to get creamy (about 20 minutes), stirring occasionally.
5. Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, and pepper; cook for 5 more minutes.
Source of recipe: Threw together these beans inspired by my daughter and my girlfriend.