2 (12.95-ounce) packages Field Roast Italian Sausages
1/2 cup minced onion
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
2 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
12 lasagna noodles
1 (12-ounce) package firm tofu
1 egg equivalent
1/2 teaspoon salt
16 ounces mozzarella cheeze, shredded
3/4 cup grated vegan parmesan
1. In a skillet, cook "sausage", onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomatoe paste, and water. Season with 2 tablespoons parsley, sugar, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, basil, fennel seeds, and pepper. Simmer, covered, for about 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl or food processor, combine tofu with egg replacement, 2 tablespoons parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
4. To assemble, spread 1-1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9" x 13" baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over "meat" sauce. Spread with one half of the tofu mixture. Top with one package of mozzarella "cheese". Spoon 1-1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup vegan Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Source of recipe: This recipe was modified from this one: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Worlds-Best-Lasagna/Detail.aspx