Beer-Batter Onion rings
1 cup nondairy milk (I use soy)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2-3 large Vidalia or yellow onions, sliced 1/2-3/4" thick
oil, as needed for frying
2 cups flour + more for dusting
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon sugar
8-10 ounces vegan beer (I use Anchor Steam)
1. Add lemon juice to milk, and set aside. Place onion slices in warm water, and let soak.
2. Heat oil in fryer or pan to about 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix dry ingredients.
3. Add dry ingredient mixture to beer in a medium size bowl. Gently stir milk and lemon juice, and add to batter. Batter should have a consistency similar to pancake batter; add more beer or flour if needed.
4. Remove onions from water and allow them to dry for 1-2 minutes. Lightly coat onions with some flour. Dip onions in batter and carefully place in oil.
5. Fry until golden brown on both sides, flipping occasionally if necessary.