Banana Upside-Down Cake
1/4 cup margarine (I use Earth Balance spread)
1/2 cup vegan brown sugar
1 1/2- 2 bananas, sliced
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup raw sugar
3/4 cup nondairy milk (I use soy)
1/4 cup sweetened applesauce with cinnamon
1 1/3 cups unbleached white flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
pecans, chopped, for topping
1/2 fresh pineapple, sliced, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Add margarine in a baking pan and melt in oven, remove when margarine is melted. Evenly crumble brown sugar over the melted margarine, then place banana slices over the brown sugar, set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, mix together the oil, sugar, milk and applesauce. Mix in flour, a little at a time. Mix in the salt and baking powder. After everything is mixed, pour evenly over banana and sugar layer and pop in the oven to bake for 50 minutes.
3. After cake tests done with toothpick, (tester may come out with a little cake on end from banana) remove from oven and let cool for only a couple minutes, so the melted sugar doesn't harden up and stick to the pan and ruin the whole thing.
4. After you let cool for a bit, get another baking sheet ready or a serving plater, and gently flip the pan onto your serving dish. To make it come out easier, get a rubber spatula and just unstick the sides of the cake from the pan.
5. Top with pecans and pineapple, if desired.
Source of recipe: My version of this recipe: http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/pineapple-upside-down-cake/a1c9a639-...