Banana Gingerbread Slices
275 g/10 oz/2,5 cups plain flour
5 ml/1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
20 ml/4 teaspoon ground ginger
10 ml/2 teaspoon mixed spice
115 g/4 oz/0,66 cup soft light brown sugar
60 ml/4 tablespoon sunflower oil
30 ml/2 tablespoon molasses or black treacle
30 ml/2 tablespoon malt extract
2 egg-substitutes (1 egg = 2 tablespoon soy-flour + 2 tablespoon water)
60 ml/4 tablespoon orange juice
3 ripe bananas
115 g/4 oz/0,66 cup raisins or sultanas
Bananas make this spicy bake delightfully moist.
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C/350F/Gas 4. Lightly grease and line a 28 x 18 cm/11 x 7 in shallow baking tin.
2. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices into a mixing bowl. Place the vegan sugar in the sieve over the bowl, add some of the flour mixture and rub through the sieve with a wooden spoon.
3. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the oil, molasses or treacle, malt extract, egg subsitute and orange juice. Mix thoroughly.
4. Mash the bananas on a plate. Add the raisins or sultanas to the gingerbread mixture then mix in the mashed bananas.
5. Scrape the mixture into the prepared baking tin. Bake for about 35 - 40 minutes or until the centre of the gingerbread springs back when lightly pressed.
6. Leave the gingerbread in the tin to cool for 5 minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely. Transfer to a board and cut into 20 slices to serve.
The cake can be stored for a few days - if you can resist it :-)