Banana Apple Cake
1/3 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon vinegar
5 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons flax meal
1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup soy flour
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1 medium apple, grated
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease 8" square pan. Mix nondairy milk with vinegar; set aside. Heat water for 30 seconds in microwave, then mix ground flax seeds with hot water; set aside.
2. Mix whole wheat flour, soy flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
3. Mix bananas, apple, and milk-vinegar mixture in a medium mixing bowl.
4. Combine the banana mixture with the large bowl containing dry ingredients, and stir well. Add the flax seed mixture, and stir well again. Add chopped pecans and mix well again.
5. Pour into a greased 8" square pan. Bake in 325 degree F oven for 1 hour, or until a toothpick in the middle comes out clean.
Nutrition FactsServing size: 1 serving.Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
Amount Per ServingCalories 251.67Calories From Fat (20%) 51.24% Daily ValueTotal Fat 6.1g 9%Saturated Fat 0.59g 3%Cholesterol 0mg 0%Sodium 258.22mg 11%Potassium 347.58mg 10%Total Carbohydrates 46.74g 16%Fiber 4.95g 20%Sugar 28.67g Protein 6.37g 13%
Source of recipe: I developed this recipe over many years of modifying traditional banana cake recipes.