Balsamic Glazed Turnips with Kale
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 medium turnips, peeled and diced
2 carrots, diced
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped coarsely
1. Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and balsamic vinegar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed. This will take 5-10 minutes.
2. Add the carrots and turnips. Add the red wine vinegar, and another splash balsamic vinegar, if desired. Also add the salt, sugar, and coriander.
3. Add 1 cup water and cover. This will help the vegetables to cook quicker. Cook, stirring every so often, until water is almost absorbed.
4. Add the kale, and cover. Cook until liquid is absorbed. At this time, if the kale is still not done, add a little more water (1/4 cup at a time) until it is tender.
5. Serve over grain of choice (I used Israeli couscous) and drizzle with a little more balsamic vinegar.
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe as a turnip experiment. I've loved turnips my entire life, so I'm always looking for new ways to cook them.