added this 2 years ago
What you need:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- A tablespoon or so of vegetable broth (for sauteéing)
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 2 small yellow squash, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup broccoli, chopped into tiny pieces
- 2 stalks bok choy, chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans fat free vegan refried beans
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed (I just took dried beans and cooked them, then measured 15 ounces)
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 6 nonfat tortillas (Ezekiel is best- it’s tough to find tortillas that don’t use oil but Ezekiel doesn’t and tastes great!)
- salt free salsa
What you do:
This recipe is from Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn. All credit goes to the book. I merely made it, too loads of photos (which can be found on my blog post about it: telltalevegan.com/baked-burrito-yum) and enjoyed the heck out of it.
- Stir-fry onion in broth or water in a nonstick saucepan until limp. Add zucchini, squash, red bell pepper, broccoli, and bok choy and stir-fry 3-4 minutes, until just tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (I don’t put this step first because I find it wasteful to preheat the oven if you won’t be using it soon).
- Stir in refried beans and pinto beans. Cook for 1 minute, mixing together.
- Add the rice and half of the cilantro.
- Put a few spoonfuls in each burrito. Lean each burrito on each other, so as to keep them tight and closed.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Top with salsa and the rest of the cilantro.
Says it makes 6 burritos but for me it made more like 8.