3 potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
1 cup spinach
olive oil, if desired
1 onion, chopped
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
oregano, to taste
pepper, to taste
2 tomatoes, chopped
salt, to taste
1 cup vegan creamer
2 aubergines (eggplants), sliced thinly
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large pot, boil the potatoes in water. In a small pot, boil the spinach in a small amount of water until the water is absorbed.
2. In a large saucepan, saute the onion until translucent. When it's done, add the paprika, oregano, pepper and the small chopped tomatoes. After 10 minutes, add the creamer and salt and stir. Leave it cooking on low fire.
3. In a grill pan (or a pan with a thick bottom), cook the drained potatoes and the aubergine (keep them separate) until they get a nice brownish color. I don't use olive oil but that is a matter of taste.
4. In a oven pan or casserole dish, join all ingredients in layers. First, cover the bottom with a layer of potatoes (use half of the potatoes), on top put a layer of the creamer mixture. Now, put all the aubergine between the cream, that will make the aubergine to acquire a melted texture. Finally, cover the top with remaining potatoes.
5. Put the casserole in the oven for 30 minutes or until the top potato layer gets the desired toasted color.
Source of recipe: This recipe was inspired by the traditional Greek moussaka plate, but of course a vegan version. This course has been cooked for a dinner that we had with two friends (an Italian and a Swiss) with whom we had the joke of starting a game that is familiar to most of us: “Find the vegan”, maybe we can play another day.