Armenian Grape Leaves Stuffed With Rice
2 medium sized white onions, chopped finely
1/3 cup oil
1 cup pearl rice (long grain white rice may be substituted)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup tomato sauce
salt and pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon dill
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
50 grape leaves
1 lemon, juiced
3 tablespoons oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, if baking. In a large frying pan, fry onions in oil until limp. Add rice, water, tomato sauce, salt and pepper.
2. Cover and boil a few minutes until the water has been absorbed (if you use long grain rice this will take approximately 20 minutes). Take off heat and add dill and parsley. Stir and let cool.
3. Rinse leaves in warm water and gently snap off stems. Spread a leaf on a small plate, vein side up and stem end toward you. Put a teaspoon of filling near the stem and fold over sides and roll up.
4. Place some unrolled leaves in the bottom of pan to prevent burning. Arrange rolled leaves side by side in pan in several layers. Place a few unrolled leaves on top. Add 1 cup water, lemon juice, and 3 tablespoons oil.
5. Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes or bake for 20 minutes. Serve cold as an appetizer.