(Almost Fatless) War Cake
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
1 cup orange-flavored Craisins (if you reeeally need to use raisin, but the craisins are better)
2 tablespoons vegan margarine, room temperature
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1-1/2 cups white or wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8" x 4" baking pan with cooking spray.
2. In a saucepan, mix together brown sugar, water, Craisins, margarine, cinnamon, and cloves. Heat and bring to a boil. Cook gently for 5 minutes, then let cool until mixture is comfortable to touch with your finger.
3. In another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. Add to the cooled mixture in saucepan and stir until there are no drifts of flour visible and batter is smooth. Fold in walnuts.
5. Pour batter evenly into the baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean out of center of cake. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack to cool completely.
**Fun Fact** It's named war cake because it was popular during wartime shortages, and good for those who want something sweet without paying for it in the end.
Source of recipe: my mom gave me this recipe and I changed it up a little