1. To make vegan buttermilk, mix 1 tbsp of lemmon juice per cup of soymilk. I had that mixture sit for 10 min before step 2.
2. Soak oats in 3/4 cup vegan buttermilk for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl.
4. Stir egg replacer (I used tbsp of ground flax to 3 tbsp of water and have it sit for a few minutes to gel up), vegan butter I used Earth Balance), brown sugar, remaining 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegan buttermilk, and oat mixture into dry ingredients until just combined.
5. Heat a griddle over medium heat until hot and lightly brush with oil.
6. Working in batches, pour 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto griddle and cook until bubbles appear on surface and undersides are golden-brown, about 1 minute.
7. Flip with a spatula and cook other side, about 1 minute more. (Lightly oil griddle between batches.)
This was how I adapted a favorite non vegan recipe from Epicurious. Whole family including my 5 & 11 year olds love it. The kids prefer this pancake over all others.