2 pie crusts
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 large spanish onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 large leek, trimmed, washed, and thinly sliced
1/2 cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoons cumin (or curry or other savory spice)
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, fresh or powdered
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
2 large russet potatoes, boiled and mashed with or without skin
2 tablespons flour
1. Chill pie crusts 30 minutes prior to use. (Two pie crusts make bottom and top for 1 large 9-inch pie or 6 to 8 single serve pies. I use 6 small springform pans. You could also make turnovers with this recipe as the filling would hold up nicely.)
2. To a pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onion; sauté 5 minutes. Add leeks and broth. Cook until carrots are tender, but not mushy.
3. Stir in cumin, parsley, garlic, paprika, pepper, and salt. Stir in potatoes and flour. Stir to thoroughly combine all ingredients, then set aside.
4. Roll out one crust and fit to bottom of pan(s). Fill with mixture (all for large pan or 1/2 to 3/4 cup for small pans). Cover with top crust (or make into open tarts with added leaks on top - they carmelize wonderfully in tarts).
5. Bake in 375 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes.