2 cups water
1 cup raw almonds
Autumn Root-Crop Torta:
12 large parsnips, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
4 medium carrots, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
2 medium rutabagas, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
2 large sweet potatoes, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
2 large turnips, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
2 large yams, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
2 cup brussels sprouts halves, roasted
6 tablespoons oil, divided
1 tablespoon + 1/4 teaspoon + pinch black pepper, divided
1 teaspoon + 2 pinches sea salt, divided
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, de-stemmed
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
2 cups chestnuts, sliced
2 cups almond cream, divided (recipe above)
2 tablespoons tahini
1/4 teaspoon sage, minced
1. To a blender, add water and almonds; blend on high speed until creamy. Sieve through cotton towel to drain only the liquid into bowl. Set aside.
2. Roast Vegetables: In a large bowl, combine vegetables (parsnips, carrots, rutabagas, sweet potatoes, turnips, yams, brussels sprouts, and chestnuts). Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons oil, 1 tablespoon pepper, 1 teaspoon sea salt, thyme, and cayenne pepper; toss to coat. Transfer to jelly roll pan and roast in 350 degree oven for 1 hour.
3. Mashed Parsnips: Once parsnips are roasted, select 4 of them and transfer to bowl. Add 1 tablespoon oil, almond cream, pinch salt, salt pepper; mash until smooth. Reserve to pipe on top of torta.
4. Chestnuts: In a pan over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add chestnut and sauté until golden brown.
5. Sauce: In a pot over medium-high heat, combine 1 tablespoon oil, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, pinch pepper, 1 cup almond cream, tahini, and sage; bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside to thicken.
6. Assemble Torta: Oil a 10" round glass dish with 1 tablespoon oil. Place larger slices of roasted vegetable layering the bottom: start with rutabaga. then sweet potato. turnip. yam. parsnip. carrot. brussel sprouts. Top with sliced chestnuts. Place a large plate cover top of torta and press down lightly until all air is out. be careful not to press too hard as vegetables will slide around.
7. Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. Remove from oven. Put reserved mashed parsnips into piping bag with decorative tip and pipe onto top of baked torta. Set oven to broil and broil until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool down to warm to set before serving. Can be refrigerated up to 3 days (which is tastier as all combine ingredients have been seasoned together). If refrigerated, reheat in 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes.