1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup grated carrot
1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
2 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 Tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
2 – 15 ounce cans black beans
3 tablespoons corn meal
Oil for frying
1) Sautee onion, carrot, and bell pepper in oil over low-medium heat, stirring occasionally.
2) Meanwhile, measure salt, paprika, black pepper, cumin, red flakes, and nutmeg into a small bowl. Mix the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco sauce in another small bowl.
3) When onion has softened, bring pan up to a hotter medium heat, add garlic and stir in spices and cook a minute or two. Stir in ketchup mixture, watching out for the fumes, and remove from heat. Stir in cilantro.
4) Drain and rinse beans well. Add some or all to food processor and pulse to mash the beans slightly. You want the mixture to be chunky.
5) Place beans, veggies, and cornmeal in a bowl and mix well.
6) Heat oil for frying in frypan over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup of bean mixture onto pan, and use the back of a spoon to spread and flatten and form a nice patty. Fry two or three at a time, depending on the size of your pan, flipping once when bottom is nice and brown, about 4 to 5 minutes each side. Hold finished patties in 300 degree Fahrenheit oven covered with foil while you finish.
Delicious on a bun or on its own.