2 cups channa dahl
1 1/2 teaspoons tumeric
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup oil
1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
4 large cloves garlic, chopped
1" piece fresh root ginger, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 bunches green coriander, chopped
1) Rinse dahl under running water until water runs clear.
2) In a generous-sized pot cook dahl in water with tumeric and salt. Once it has boiled, turn down very low and simmer with lid on, adding more water as necessary until soft and creamy. If mixture seems too thin, remove lid to reduce liquid, stirring frequently.
3) When dahl reaches desired consistency turn off heat.
4) Heat oil in a small frypan, when hot add garlic, ginger and garam masala, fry about 3 to 4 minutes, being careful not to burn.
5) Add tomato and coriander, stir and cook until tomatoes begin to soften. Stir this mixture into the cooked dahl and heat through carefully. Serve with rice.
I prefer to freshly grind the masala when making this recipe.