1 daikon (Japanese radish), peeled and cut into sticks
3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1 teaspoon dried chili flakes
1. Start this recipe the day before you want to eat it. In a large bowl, sprinkle daikon and carrot with salt and 1 tablespoon sugar.
2. Mix well, pressing and kneading, and allow to stand for about 45 minutes. This releases excess water and some of the bitterness of the daikon.
3. Drain well and rinse under running water in a colander. Pat dry. Toast sesame seeds until they start to pop and dance in the pan. Add vinegar and sugar, stirring until sugar is melted.
4. Add chili flakes to the hot liquid and pour over vegetables. Marinade vegetables for several hours or overnight. Some people do this in the fridge but I find the flavor penetrates better at room temperature.
5. Pack vegetables in airtight glass jar and pour in marinade. Store in refrigerator.
Keeps for at least 4 weeks in the fridge. It's important the jar is airtight so the pickle scent doesn't affect other foods.
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe.