6 tablespoons hot water
2 tablespoons ground flax seed
1 cup vanilla nondairy milk
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegan margarine (I use Earth Balance)
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups flour, your choice (I use 1 cup unbleached all-purpose and 1 cup whole wheat)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped almonds
6 ounces frozen or pitted fresh cherries, chopped (drain well if using frozen)
1. Egg Substitute: In a small bowl, combine hot water and flax seed; set aside for 10 minutes. Buttermilk Substitute: In a measuring cup, combine nondairy milk and vinegar; set aside for 5 minutes.
2. With a mixer, cream together the sugar and margarine. With the mixer running, add the flax eggs and beat well. Blend in the almond extract.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. With mixer running, add the dry ingredients to the mixture alternating with the milk.
4. Stir in almonds and cherries until just combined. Spray a 9" x 5" loaf pan with nonstick spray and coat lightly with flour. Pour bread batter into prepared loaf pan.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 70 to 75 minutes, or until loaf tests done. Let rest in pan for about 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
Source of recipe: This recipe was modified from http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Cherry-Almond-Quick-Bread