2 cups nondairy milk (I use soy)
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
3/4 cup canola oil (rapeseed oil)
2 limes, zested
1 cup vegan lime curd (apple sauce works fine!)
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda Fillings:
16 ounces vegan cream cheese, divided
3 cups powdered sugar, divided
7 ounces fresh raspberries
1/2 cup vegan lime curd
2 limes, zested Buttercream icing:
1 3/4 cups vegan margarine, room temperature
4 cups powdered sugar, divided
splash nondairy milk, room temperature
drop food color, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. For cake, add nondairy milk into a large mixing bowl. Put in the vinegar, vanilla sugar, canola oil, zest of 2 limes and lime curd. Whisk together and let sit for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile in another mixing bowl, put flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
2. Sift the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl with the wet ingredients. Mix together. Grease an 8" tin with removable edge with a little oil. Place the batter in the tin and put in the oven. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a stick comes out clean. Take out and let cool (it's a good idea to make the cake before the day of usage).
3. For raspberry filling, take 8 ounces of the cream cheese and mix with 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and the raspberries. Set aside. For lime filling, mix remaining cream cheese and remaining powdered sugar and combine it with the lime curd and zest.
4. For icing, add margarine to large bowl. Cream the butter until soft and silky. Gradually add the powdered sugar to preferred sweetness. If too thick, add nondairy milk. Add food color, if desired.
5. To assemble cake, cut the cooled cake into 3 even layers. Place a mousse filling on top of each middle cake layers, in desired order. Place cake in fridge to let mousse set, 1-2 hours. Frost the entire cake with buttercream icing, and decorate as desired.
It's a lime-vanilla sponge with lime and a raspberry mousse filling, coated with vegan buttercream. A tip is to make the cake 1-2 days before. I've decorated my cake with blue buttercream piping flowers. Enjoy!
Source of recipe: This is the cake I came up with for my 16th birthday! I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I and my non-vegan guests did!