3 portobello mushroom caps
olive oil, as needed
fine sea salt, to taste
5 cups water
2 cubes not chick'n bullion
1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 bag (2 cups) frozen carrot, onion, and celery mix (or 3/4 cup each)
1. Oil mushrooms on both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Grill them on an indoor grill for 10 minutes per side; they will dry out some. Remove the mushrooms from the grill and set aside to cool.
2. Place water in a pot and bring to a simmer, then add the broth cubes and stir. Place the tender ends of the asparagus on the indoor grill and grill with a little olive oil and sea salt. Cook the asparagus for 12-15 minutes until tender with grill marks. Place the asparagus aside to cool.
3. Add the Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes to the simmering broth. Place the carrot, celery, and onion mix on the grill with olive oil and a little salt. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring around once. The onions should be caramelizing.
4. Cut the mushrooms into squares, and cut the asparagus with a slant. Add them to the simmering broth/water, along with the carrot, celery, onion mix right from the indoor grill.
5. Continue to simmer the soup for 60-75 minutes on low heat, allowing the onions to dissolve into the broth and everything to rehydrate.
This soup is great for lunch all week especially if eating small meals frequently throughout the day, or if you pair it with fresh raw vegetables or greens.
Source of recipe: I formulated this recipe using local ingredients.