Lentils and rice:
2 cups water
1/2 cup uncooked lentils (I prefer green/black)
1/2 cup uncooked rice Gravy:
1-2 tablespoons vegan butter or olive oil
1/2 vidalia onion, chopped
2+ tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 cup veggie broth or stock
2-4 tablespoons white wine
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon rosemary
salt and pepper, to taste olive oil, as needed
5 brussels sprouts, quartered, optional
2 vegan sausages, chopped, optional (I used Field Roast)
1. Put the water in a pot to boil for the lentils and rice. Once the water is ready, put in lentils and turn the heat down just a bit. Let it cook 5-10 minutes, then add rice; stir before covering the pot again. Lower the heat to medium-low and set timer for 30 minutes.
2. Prepare the gravy by heating vegan butter or oil in a small saucepan. Add the onions, and cook 5-10 minutes, until lightening in color/ becoming transluscent. Add the flour and broth and stir to prevent lumps.
3. Add wine, vinegar and spices and keep stirring continuously. When it looks like it's getting thick, turn off the heat and let it sit a bit (though you should keep your eye on it and stir it occasionally).
4. If using brussels sprouts and/or sausages, heat some oil in another pan on medium heat, and add brussels. When green color begins to come out, add sausages. Turn the heat to low and wait until rice and lentils are done.
5. When the timer goes off, voila! Spoon lentils and rice on a plate, then add brussels and/or sausages, then top with gravy.
Mmm! Hope you enjoy. You could use any veggies in addition to/instead of the brussels.
Source of recipe: We wanted lentils and a brown sauce. This is what came about!