2 (14 ounce) cans artichoke hearts
2 tablespoons olive oil, optional
1 whole head garlic
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/4 cup fresh chopped Italian parsley, plus more for garnish, if desired
Italian spices, to taste (I use basil, oregano, and marjoram)
black pepper, to taste
1-2 tablespoons flour, as needed
4 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
4 cups water
1 tablespoon capers
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Pour both cans of artichoke hearts into colander and rinse well. Drain, squeezing out excess moisture.
2. Cut artichokes in half, from root to tips, taking care not to break off too many leaves. Trim any tough spots on artichokes. If desired, toss with olive oil in medium-sized bowl. Place artichokes cut-side down on baking sheet. Break garlic head into individual cloves, but do not fully peel. Place these on the baking sheet as well.
3. Place baking sheet in oven on middle rack. Cook 20 minutes, then remove garlic cloves and set aside. Return artichokes to oven. Pour tomato sauce into saucepan. Heat on medium, adding chopped parsley, Italian spices, and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning throughout cooking process. If desired, add up to 2 tablespoons flour to thicken the sauce.
4. Bring 4 cups water to a rapid boil in a large saucepan. Cook spaghetti according to package directions, about 10-12 minutes. Peel the garlic cloves. About 5 minutes before spaghetti finishes, add garlic cloves and capers to artichokes in oven.
5. Drain spaghetti noodles in colander. Divide between two plates. Top with generous amount of sauce. Remove baking sheet from oven, lay roasted artichoke mixture over pasta. Garnish with fresh Italian parsley, if desired, to serve.
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe.