8 jumbo crescent rolls (some Pillsbury are vegan)
1/2 pound lentils
3 cups water
1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
2/3 cup water
1 cup vegan cheese, shredded
salsa and/or taco sauce, to taste
1 tomato, diced, to serve
lettuce, shredded, to serve
1/4 cup olives, to serve
1. Wash and cook lentils with 3 cups water. Bring to a boil, then cover with lid and turn down low. Cook for about 20 minutes. You want these to be al dente', firm to the touch; check often so they don't become mushy! Once the lentils are al dente', carefully drain, then transfer to a pan.
2. Add the taco mix with 2/3 cup water. Bring to a soft boil, then simmer for a few minutes until most of the water is absorbed. The mixture should be clumpy and a little dry.
3. Allow to sit and cool down for 5 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray baking pan with nonstick spray. Fold in vegan cheese into the lentil mixture, until slightly melted.
4. Unroll a crescent and press flat onto the pan. At the biggest end of the crescent, add about 1 tablespoon lentil mixture into each one. Then fold the smallest end over and pinch as much of it closed as possible. These should be nearly sealed like hot pockets. A few small openings are okay too.
5. Repeat until you've filled all 8 of them. Place them at least 1-2" apart. These will fluff up about 2x their original size, so spacing them is very important! Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Once removed from the oven, serve with taco sauce/salsa, tomato, lettuce, and olives.
Serve with whatever you usually like on/with tacos. These are wonderful, hearty and spicy; make great leftovers too!
Source of recipe: Its similar to the Taco Ring from Pampered Chef, but I modified this to be vegan and individual crescents instead! It still tastes very much the same!