2 sticks (1 cup) vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup unbleached sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 (4 ounce) cup cinnamon apple sauce
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 taplespoon oil
2 tablespoons cold water
2 tablespoons vanilla nondairy milk (I use soy)
1 (12 ounce) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use Guittard)
1. Melt the buttery sticks completely in a sauce pan over medium heat. While melting, blend flour, salt, and baking soda together with a fork in a medium bowl.
2. Pour melted margarine in large mixing bowl. Add vanilla, sugars, and applesauce; cream on medium speed. While that is creaming, in a small bowl, add baking powder, oil, and cold water. Stir until frothing.
3. Reduce mixing speed to low then add baking powder mixture and milk to creamed mixture. Slowly add flour mixture and mix until doughy. Stir in chocolate chips by hand.
4. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or for at least 8 hours. After time has elapsed, preheat oven to 375 degrees F, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
5. Scoop 6 blobs of cookie dough onto sheet with an ice cream scoop. Bake for 14 minutes.
Source of recipe: This recipe is a favorite of mine, modified from Alton Brown's "The Chewy"http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-chewy-recipe/index.html