2 tablespoons olive oil
2 red bell peppers, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 medium jalapeno pepper, minced
1 medium white onion, diced
1 small yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large pinches black pepper
2 pinches thyme
2 bay leaves
2 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, in juice
3 (15-ounce) cans low-sodium kidney beans
1/2 cup non-dairy milk
3 cups uncooked short-grain rice
1. Red Beans: In a large non-stick pan (mine was three inches deep), heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, and jalapeno pepper; saute 5 minutes. Add white onion, yellow onion, and garlic; cook until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally.
2. Add four large pinches of paprika, four large pinches of salt, three pinches of black pepper, two pinches of thyme, and bay leaves; stir until thoroughly combine. Stir in diced tomatoes with juice; bring to simmer.
3. Stir in kidney beans and non-dairy milk; simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until desired consistency is achieved.
4. Rice: Cook rice according to package directions. (I usually make one serving per person who is eating the meal and then make three extra servings as well. It will end up being more than you need, but there will be left-overs if you use this recipe to feed 2 to 3 people. If cooking for more than 3, do not make extra servings of rice.)
5. Serve beans over rice and enjoy!
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe myself. My husband and I were hungry, so I decided to throw together a quick and easy, two-pot vegan meal.