1/2 cup brown rice
3 tablespoons hot water
1 tablespoon flax seed
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 red bell pepper, minced
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup green onion, minced
1/4 cup parsley, minced
1 teaspoon garlic garlic*
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1/4 cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese
1. In a pot, bring 1-1/4 cup water to a boil. Add brown rice, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 40 minutes or until water is absorbed. Set aside to cool a little.
2. Flax Egg: In a cup, combine the hot water and flax seed; set aside.
3. In a bowl, mash the kidney beans, and then add the brown rice. Mix in the bell pepper, breadcrumbs, green onion, parsley, flax egg, garlic, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper; mix until well combined.
4. Form mixture into five burger patties. The mixture will be sticky! In the middle of each patty, make a hole and insert some cheese. It might be easier to make two small patties, put cheese in center, then mold together. OR mix cheese in with the rest of the mixture...your call.
5. Once the burgers are formed, heat a skillet with non-stick spray and fry for about 2 minutes on each side, just until burger is warmed throughout.
Put whatever toppings float your boat on a bun and devour. I used vegenaise, spinach leaves, and tomato. YUM!
*Garlic Garlic is made by a company called Tastefully Simple. Google it. It's amazing. But regular garlic powder or garlic cloves will work too.\
Source of recipe: I wrote this one after trying other recipes.