4 to 5 medium potatoes, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 small or 1/2 medium onion, chopped
1-1/2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 tablespoons vegan margarine (optional)
1 (15-ounce) can sweet corn, or to taste
1 cup vegan meat crumbles (optional but adds lots of flavor)
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1. Chop all of the vegetables to a blender-manageable size.
2. In a pot, place potatoes, carrot, onion, celery, and garlic. Fill the pot with just enough water to cover the vegetables. Boil until vegetables are very soft, about 15 minutes.
3. In a pan over medium heat, place vegan crumbles; cook until crumbles have dried out dry out a bit. (Drying them out helps them retain their flavor, rather than just absorbing a bunch of liquid and tasting like the rest of the soup.)
4. When everything is soft, pour the water and the vegetables into a blender and puree until it is as smooth as it is going to get. Pour this back into your pot and return to stove.
5. Stir in margarine, then canned corn, salt, and pepper, then the crumbles. The soup is done!!!
You can add whatever vegetables you like, of course. I've added broccoli, mushrooms, spinach, and peppers.The carrot is awesome because it gives the soup a gorgeous golden color. More than one carrot, I found, made it taste like carrot soup instead of corn and potato soup.
Source of recipe: I was craving a thick, creamy soup, so I played around with potatoes and came up with this. I make this a couple of times per week, and my whole family is crazy about it.