For the Sauce:
1/3 cup Chinese plum sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon hot sauce (I use Sriracha)
For the rolls:
1 (8 ounce) package fake chicken
2 celery stalks, chopped fine
1 red pepper, chopped fine
2 carrots, shredded
4 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
3 green onions, green and white chopped
10 spring roll wrappers
1. In some sesame oil, saute the chick'n, vegetables, and seasonings except for the onions, basil, and cilantro. Add a little water every few minutes, so it doesn't stick, and the veggies will steam.
2. For sauce, heat a few inches of water in large pan so you can barely stick your fingers in. Add sauce ingredients, stir, and heat through.
3. When the filling is done ( veggies are cooked, but still firm) add in green onion, cilantro, and basil. Set aside.
4. Dip stiff wrapper in hot water for a few seconds until it becomes translucent and soft. With tongs, spread out wrapper on a clean dish towel. Scoop a portion of filling (it takes wrapping a few to figure out your ideal portion size), and wrap like a mini burrito. The sides will stick to each other.
5. Serve warm or chilled. The flavors develop over time. Dip in sauce.
My husband and I ate 5 each for dinner and we were stuffed but they make great appetizers too.
Source of recipe: A mutant version of my sister Jen's recipe made vegan