2 large potatoes, cut into 1" cubes
1/4 cup water
1 turnip, cut into 1" cubes, optional
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon vegan margarine
1/4 teaspoon sugar
pinch salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic
1. Place the potato cubes in a covered dish with the water and microwave on high until almost cooked (fork can pierce). If using turnip, add it to the potatoes a couple minutes before done.
2. Drain the water and allow to dry with the lid off. The drier the potatoes the better this will turn out. Heat a skillet on medium-high.
3. When hot, add the olive oil and margarine Put the potatoes in the skillet and cook on one side until browned. Sprinkle with sugar, salt, and pepper and stir the potatoes so that other sides are touching the skillet and browning.
4. You may want to add a touch more oil to keep from sticking and helping them brown. Sometimes I coat them with oil before putting in the skillet. (The sugar helps browning and adds a wonderful dimension to this dish. One large pinch is all you need.)
5. About 1 minute before you remove the potatoes, press garlic over them. Saute about 2 minutes and remove from heat and serve.
My husband loves these with a little catsup. I like them just the way they are. I serve these with tofu scramble and my husband makes moaning sounds the whole time he's eating it, because he loves it.
Source of recipe: Inspired by the oven roasted cauliflower with rosemary and garlic recipe on this site.