7 medium tomatoes, quartered
1 large onion, cut into large chunks
3 to 5 garlic cloves, peeled
2 to 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 + 1 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 + 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
4 cups good vegetable stock
2 (15.5-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 teaspoon chili powder
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Toss tomatoes, onion, and garlic with the oil in a large bowl. Add and toss with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, then transfer to a baking sheet. Roast until garlic cloves have softened, edges of onions are browned, and tomatoes have collapsed, 35 to 40 minutes, stirring once after 20 minutes.
3. Transfer roasted veggie mixture to at least an 4 quart saucepan. Add vegetable stock, black beans, chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and blend until smooth with immersion blender or in small batches in regular blender.
5. Tips ~ Can garnish with parsley or cilantro
Source of recipe: I modified this recipe from one my SIL gave to me from Reader's Digest.