3 tablespoons olive oil
handful celery leaves, chopped
6 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-1/2 inch pieces
5 celery, cut into 2-1/2 inch pieces
1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
1/2 pound green beans, cut into 2-1/2 inch pieces
1 russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 slices
1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
10 ounces frozen whole okra
1 (28-ounce) can whole, peeled tomatoes, cut up in chunks
3 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
juice of 2 lemons (about 1/4 cup lemon juice)
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or more to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a medium to large stockpot over medium heat. Add and saute celery leaves for 2 minutes.
2. Add 1/2 of carrots, celery, onion, and green beans into pot. Add russet and sweet potatoes, then add remaining carrots, celery, onion, and green beans.
3. Add okra on top on everything in pot. Add cut up tomatoes, tomato sauce, lemon juice and seasonings.
4. Cook on medium-high heat until bubbling, then lower heat and place a lid on pot. Now cook for 40 to 45 minutes on low. Carefully stir stew once while cooking, avoiding moving okra or breaking up potato's. Check to see if all veggies and cooked through and taste, adjust seasonings.
5. Remove lid and turn heat off. Let stand in pot for last 15 minutes. Serve.
Note: I do not add salt to most of my recipes, since there is salt in canned tomato's and tomato sauce.
Source of recipe: I wrote recipe.