1/2 cup rice
3.5 ounces textured soy protein granules
10 ounces shredded cabbage
1 tablespoon taco spice mix
2 carrots, grated
2 large onions, chopped
4 large tomatoes
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon tomato paste
salt, to taste
1/2 cup cornmeal
1. To a pot, add rice and water. Cover and bring to boil over high. Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Do not lift the lid. Let cool slightly.
2. Soak textured soy protein granules in water. Drain. Add to a pan and fry over medium heat with taco spice mix until golden. Mix with rice.
3. Fry grated carrots and chopped onions until soft. Mix half with rice and use the rest to cover the bottom of a baking dish.
4. SAUCE: Cut X on each tomato and cover with boiling water for a minute to remove the skins. Remove stems and blend with garlic, sugar, tomato paste, and salt.
5. PATTIES: Form large patties form the rice-carrot-textured-vegetable-protein mixture. Roll in cornmeal and fry until brown. Lay in the baking dish and cover with tomato sauce. Bake in oven on 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
Source of recipe: Something my mom has been maiking for ages, veganized by me.